Monday, March 25, 2019

Power Relationships and Children

I really enjoyed the document by Richard Miller "Who is the Boss?" as a mother, and yes, sometimes a pushover I probably let my kids get away with a bit. Not anything harming or dangerous, but when they whine enough about doing the dishes or doing something simple I ask, I sometimes find it easier just to give in and do the task myself than put up the good fight. However Richard Miller reminds us that telling our kids no, and teaching them is our duty. In his article he says "In healthy, well-functioning families, there is a clear hierarchy between parents and children.
Parents are the “executive committee” and the “board of directors” of a family. As with any other
leadership position, parents should not be harsh, domineering, or dictatorial, but they are the leaders of
the family, and the children need to follow that leadership.
Discipline is probably one of the most important elements in which a mother and father
can lead and guide and direct their children…. Setting limits to what a child can do means to
that child that you love him and respect him. If you permit the child to do all the things he
would like to do without any limits, that means to him that you do not care much about him
(Spencer W. Kimball, TSWK pp. 340, 341)."
I need to remember that I am showing them love and respect and limits are a good way to do that, also that its worth the struggle to get them to do their end of the bargain and in the end they will be grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In-law Relations

I was very blessed in the department of in laws, especially mother in laws. Part of this I think has to do with the fact that sense my moth...